|http://www.sina.com.cn 2003年12月04日13:08 新浪网|
East Asia Mayors’Forum·Kunming, China2-3 December 2003
We, the mayors from East Asian countries held the first East Asia Mayors’Forum (EAMF) in the beautiful Spring City of Kunming, China on 2-3 December 2003.
In the context of accelerated economic globalization and dynamic development of ASEAN Plus Three (10+3) cooperation that has attracted more and more attention, we, under the theme of East Asian Cities--Cooperation and Development and within the legal and policy environments of respective countries, held intensive discussion on issues of common concern and reached broad consensus. We solemnly declare:
1. Realizing that we shoulder important responsibilities of promoting the well-being of the people and the development of East Asian cities, and that long-term and close cooperation among us has become an important impetus to the development of our region, we are determined to make concerted efforts to promote common prosperity of East Asia through unremitting and close cooperation among our cities.
2. We will deepen friendship among East Asian cities on the basis of equality and mutual benefit. We will take practical steps to seek steady development in accordance with the principles of reciprocity and efficiency. We will respect diversities and each other’s cultural traditions and characteristics. We will endeavor to narrow development gap among East Asian cities by establishing an extensive, profound and lasting cooperative relationship, which will be conducive to trade, investment, employment and equitable distribution of benefits. We shall actively promote common and sustainable development, economic integration, social development and improvement of environment in East Asian cities and the whole region for the peace, stability and prosperity of Asia and the world.
3. We will, within the framework of 10+3 cooperation, make full use of advantages of our cities as business and cultural centers in our respective region, and play an important role in promoting extensive and pragmatic cooperation and exchange in the following areas:
---- to further expand the opening of our cities;
---- to create opportunities for inter-city trade and investment;
---- to promote information, communications and transportation links among our cities;
---- to boost city-to-city tourism;
---- to strengthen inter-city HRD cooperation and create more job opportunities;
---- to expand exchanges and cooperation in science and technology among our cities;
---- to cooperate to raise health and safety standards for the people in our cities;
---- to create channels for cooperation in social welfare, poverty alleviation and total human development strategies in the region;
---- to promote cooperation for balanced development of industrialization, urbanization, modernization and environment protection in the region; and
---- to create new channels for non-governmental entities to participate in the 10+3 cooperation process through EAMF.
4. We agree to play our unique role as mayors of municipal governments in promoting cooperation among East Asian cities. We will:
---- create a good-neighborly and harmonious environment and provide adequate assistance to individuals, organizations and businesses who travel between East Asian cities for cultural, commercial and tourism purposes;
---- improve information service for businesses, organizations and individuals and encourage media cooperation with a view to promoting information exchanges of our cities;
---- encourage our cities and businesses and individuals to make full use of the website of the EAMF to facilitate exchanges and cooperation in various fields;
---- enhance cooperation among East Asian cities in the area of local legislation, policies and best practices in local governance;
---- hold an annual East Asian Cities Commodities Fair to boost inter-city trade and help businesses to expand market share;
---- make efforts to establish direct city-to-city exchange and dialogue mechanisms in various forms insgroupsto promote closer cooperation among the cities; and
---- enhance cooperation among East Asian cities in the area of public health and take joint measures to eliminate the negative effects of major epidemics.
5. We agree that EAMF should establish itself as an important mechanism for direct dialogue and close cooperation among East Asian cities. The Forum will be held once a year back to back with the East Asian Cities Commodities Fair by an East Asian city on voluntary basis.
6. The Forum will encourage other East Asian cities to join in, and actively conduct extensive cooperation and exchange with other cities and relevant international and national organizations in Asia and the rest of the world, such as the International Union of Local Authorities (IULA).